Statement on destruction at educational buildings at Loikaw University in Kayah State and abducting faculty members, education staff and students by KNPP and PDF terrorists
- KNPP and PDF terrorists intentionally opened fire at Loikaw University of Kayah State which is a non-military target with heavy weapons and small arms on 13 and 14 November and surprisingly attacked security forces at the university with the deployment of excessive strengths.
- These terrorist groups raided the university and destroyed educational buildings and illegally detained faculty members including the rector serving duties at the university, education staff and students. As such, security forces took necessary measures to timely save those faculty members and students not to suffer from injuries and to be safety.
- Nonetheless, KNPP and PDF terrorists used education staff and students as human shields in their attacks. As security forces controlled their moves not to cause injuries to educational staff and students, they could save just some of them. Faculty members including the rector, educational staff and some students were abducted by KNPP and PDF terrorists. Moreover, it was found that KNPP and PDF terrorists brutally killed some faculty members.
- In this regard, KNPP and PDF terrorists committed attacks and firing with the covers of educational buildings, which are important for the State and not military target, forcibly detaining faculty members, educational staff as human shields instead of allowing them to escape from the dangerous area, intentionally attacked the university of a hundred of educational staff and students, destroyed educational buildings and used these buildings as their covers in attacking. Hence, they breached the war crime in accordance with Common Article (3) of the Geneva Convention and Article (52) of the Additional Protocol (1) as well as in accord with the customary international law in principle. Moreover, 15 member countries of the UN Security Council on 29 October 2021 condemned the attacks targeting schools, children and teachers and unanimously adopted Resolution No 2601 (2021) to protect those in the conflicts to have learning opportunities. As such, this acts of KNPP and PDF terrorists violated the UN Security Council Resolution 2601(2021) – the protection of Education in armed conflict which is the Resolution 2601 (2021) of the UN Security Council.
- Committing the attacks to target faculty members and education staff turning out good human resources essential for building a democratic nation and students who will shape the future of the State mean destroying the future of the State, and this is not beneficial for anyone and an inhumane act intending to loss of the future of the country. Likewise, as their terror acts affected an unlimited postponement of examination to be held in the third batch of the University of Distance Education, this brought the tremendous loss to the students who will sit for the exam at the university.
- That is why the statement was issued that KNPP and PDF terrorists must release faculty members, education staff, students and their family members who are not absolutely concerned with the military affairs from the illegal detention without any injuries.
State Administration Council